Wednesday, March 17, 2010

#70 Scouting Pow Wow



Blue, my son, is three merit badges from qualifying to receive a Eagle rank in Boy Scouts and 6 months from the dead line. Towards the end of last year I had decided to get him going on these last merit badges. Twenty-one are required and he only need three more. I tried getting with leaders of our church, that are over Scouting, but getting no one to respond to me.  I had basically given up, telling myself, "I don't care, it doesn't matter to me whether he gets his Eagle or not". Do you know what it's like to get a 17 1/2 year old boy to do merit badges at home? NOT EASY, ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE.  One of the youth leaders says, "We have plenty of time". NO WE DID NOT.  Before moving on to Eagle a Scout has to be at a Life rank for 6 months serving in a leadership position. Right at the end of February there was a sudden "hype" among the leaders about Blue and getting him ready to receive his Eagle. I had learned that no one had realized how soon his birthday was, August 16. They had figured that it was towards the end of the year along with most of the boys his age. Once they realized that, things began to move. They had a Board of Review with in 3 days of the dead line, advancing him to Life. I was so grateful to learn that a Pow Wow was THIS month. This is where they can earn merit badges. They were offering all three that he is needing. Yeah! They will do most of the work there, with just a few assignments to do at home on his own. How wonderful! Once that is completed then we can move onto his Eagle project, which he already has an idea for, just need it approved. I am so excited!

Photo from here

No comments:

Post a Comment